There are several lines of thinking and circumstantial evidence that lead me to think Rey was indeed abducted from Tatooine:
- The VR tech demo Trials on Tatooine was co-written by Pablo and is loosely Canon. In it, Han is delivering supplies to Tatooine with the Falcon while you, an unnamed Jedi hopeful, wait. You immediately come under attack by Imperials. I think this is the fateful day Rey is abducted and the padawan is in fact Ben (explaining why he’s waiting for Han). The Empire was disbanded by this time and the stormtroopers and TIEs are probably stand-ins for the real attackers. Han making deliveries with the Falcon would also explain why Rey has always remembered it.
- SSN revealed we’d be revisiting Tatooine in the ST. They speculated that’s where Luke’s temple was, but it can be seen from the teaser that it definitely wasn’t on Tatooine.
- It explains why she thinks she’s been on Jakku as long as she can remember. Excepting the twin suns, it wouldn’t seem all that different from her true planet of origin. Any memory of twin suns would likely be dismissed as her imagination as she got older.
- Young Rey is already in what appears to be desert garb.
- Jakku was originally conceived as a swamp junkyard and then changed to a desert junkyard in pre-production. This would explain why.
- In terms of TLJ, it gives a strong opportunity for a rift between her and Luke. If she has a Forceback with Luke saying the “I’ll come back, sweetheart” line from the novelization on a desert planet, without showing the suns, it would lead her to believe he deliberately abandoned her.